JupyterHub and BinderHub Team Meeting#

Welcome to the Team Meeting#


If you are joining the team video meeting, sign in below so we know who was here. Roll call:

  • name / institution / GitHub handle

  • Sarah Gibson / 2i2c / @sgibson91

  • Arnim Bleier / GESIS / @arnim

  • Erik Sundell / Sundell open source / @consideratio

  • Min RK / Simula / @minrk

  • Simon Li / University of Dundee / @manics

  • Rick Wagner/ UCSD / @rpwagner

  • Benjamin Balder Bach / Read the Docs / @benjaoming

  • A. T. Darian / QuantStack / @afshin

  • Yuvi / @yuvipanda / 2i2c

  • Adam Patterson / UM / adpatter

  • Charles SUrett / Dell EMC / @csurett

  • James Munroe / 2i2c / @jmunroe

  • Mridul Seth / GESIS / @MridulS

Quick updates#

60 second updates on things you have been up to, questions you have, or developments you think people should know about. Please add yourself, and if you do not have an update to share, you can pass.

  • Callum apologies, cannot attend today. My update is that I am going to redeploy Turing’s binder to uk south this Friday (22nd). Hopefully a redeployment surmounts the Turing cluster’s intermittency issues and we can get it back online.

  • Sarah I will be officially starting in the role of JupyterHub Community Strategic Lead from August 1 at 0.5 FTE. Chris and I will be discussing a 1-/3-/6-month roadmap later this month that I will share with y’all and then I will begin to share more details of how folk can get involved.

  • Benjamin Quick hello from Read the Docs (a platform that often hosts Jupyter Book), we’re building resources for (data) science community and would love to hear back.

  • Simon Z2JH 2.0.0-beta.1 almost (hopefully) ready jupyterhub/zero-to-jupyterhub-k8s#

  • Arnim Mybinder federation support by GESIS save till end of 2022. Thinking about how to make the funtionallity of the persistent binderHub more accessible in cooperation with 2i2c, NFDI, and CESSDA.

  • Intro from Dell? 👍

    • Hoping to make contributions

Reports and celebrations#

This is a place to make announcements (without a need for discussion). This is also a great place to give shout-outs to contributors! We’ll read through these at the beginning of the meeting.

  • erik mybinder.org-deploy updated with modern versions of prometheus, grafana, cert-manager etc, and thats great!

  • yuvi everyone loves JupyterHub at SciPy

Agenda items#

Let’s collect all potential agenda items here before the start of the meeting. We will then attempt to create a coherent agenda that fits in the 60m meeting slot. If there are similar items try and group them together.

  • Session Chair (2m): Assigning a notetaker - volunteers welcome!

    • Notetaker: Simon

  • Min (~5min) JupyterHub 3.0 jupyterhub/jupyterhub#3982

    • Ready to make a release, fairly small but will be a major release (3.0.0) due to dropping Python 3.6 and a database upgrade step. No breaking API changes. Roles and scopes updated, one remaining PR.

    • Alembic manages database upgrades (including across multiple major releases)

    • Eric Add changelog entries when opening breaking PRs to help with release process

  • Rick Wagner (10 minutes): JupyterHub for workshops setup (optional)

    • Presented at JupyterHub HPC call

    • Short lived deployments for workshops, using Globus authenticator which provides group-based privileges, integrated with JupyterHub privileges, e.g. instructors, students, also linked with GitLab

    • File permissions also managed with Globus. User, shared and read-only folders mounted into notebook container

    • Slides

  • A. T. Darian (5 minutes): Jupyter calendar question, Software Steering Council representative

    • JupyterHub meetings are not on the sahred Jupyter calendar. OK to duplicate, or to drop the JupyterHub calendar? Access to Jupyter calendar can be granted to whoever needs it

    • Lots of Jupyter projects are now using team-compass setup. Current Jupyter steering council will be disbanded and replaced by new bodies. Each subproject should have a representative to vote on JEPs. Need a JupyterHub Software Steering Council representative.

    • Sarah thinks we should convert this point into an issue for discovery after the meeting :+1:

    • Also related to JupyterHub governance: jupyterhub/team-compass#497

  • Adam Patterson (5 minutes) Question about directing users to collaborative Notebooks - if there is time.

  • Ben (<5 minutes) From readthedocs (since June), looking for new ideas for how JupyterHub can use the platform